Previous in Series: The Meta-Assembly On Assemblies
Last week we had our first real meeting of the anadoxy, and we decided on the first draft of how we would be running our meetings. Well this Sunday we had our first meeting using that template, and it seemed to work very well. Attendance remains low, so we may need to keep shuffling the time around to find a point that works well for everyone, but we’re inclined to not move the time for next week yet, and want to give it a few weeks at this time before we start shuffling again.
The topic for this week’s meeting was the construction of the minor precepts for the 14th major precept.
14. Do not spread pain or misery, honor and pursue the project of Goodness.
It took us a while to figure out what the minor precepts should be for this one, but we finally have it done. We had to reread the metaethics sequence twice and really think hard about the recursive nature of ethical and moral systems to arrive at something that seems like a decent place to be.
- Strive to be perfectly good using the full force of your present morals and ethics, do not compromise with your ethics.
- Know that your present morals and ethics are imperfect, and perfect goodness can only be achieved with perfect truth.
- Strive to adhere to all of the precepts as the best method of achieving perfect goodness
- Strive to make the precepts cleave to your idea of perfect goodness.
- Strive to make your idea of perfect goodness cleave to the perfected form of the precepts.
- The precepts you have are not the perfected form of the precepts.
- Question and challenge the precepts using the full force of your present morals and ethics.
- Question and challenge your present morals and ethics.
Morality is a difficult thing to even talk about and it’s a complicated issue where the best answers we have to questions like “Why is a good thing good?” are buried beneath layers and layers of meta and recursion. We’re hoping we’ve managed to capture a bit of that recursive loop through the meta levels in the minor precepts here, enough to start pointing in the right direction. This precept is of course not the precept, and this is actually where I include that idea in the precepts themselves.
Once more, the next meeting is on Sunday, August 20th at 1900 GMT (12:00 pm Pacific), in the GSV Biggest Spotlight I Could Haul Into The Dark Forest discord server in the alpha voice chat channel. The topic will be the creation of the minor precepts for the 15th major precept, the precept of project optimization. Recommended reading is Meditations on Moloch by Scott Alexander and Optimization by Eliezer Yudkowsky.
Part of the Sequence: Origin
Next Post: The Assemblies on the Precepts of Project Optimization and Project Projects
Previous Post: The Meta Assembly on Assemblies